Wednesday, October 17, 2012

 a lot of things happened this week.


  • visited Keith Mayerson at his studio/apartment in Chelsea. 
  • went to see Wendy White's show for the second time and she talked to us about her new (i mean NEW) work. 
  • went to the Jeff Bailey Galley to see Jackie Gendel and listen to her speak, this was my second time hearing her speak and I was seeing a lot of the same work only finished. 
  • Had a studio visit with Cameron Martin and saw these beautiful paintings. 
Also I guess after having a small seminar on the ideas and readings about Wendy White and Gerhard Richter's show I am starting to understand why these things that are made by computers are sticking by so loyally to painting. I feel like this is all a little too hip for me to understand but I do like the idea of physically using these things as paintings. The physical experience of going up to something, examining it, sitting back and trying to figure out the material is really important. 

I also read an interview that I wish I had read four years ago-- Brooklyn Rail with Matthew Day Jackson. His attitude about art in general is really brilliant. He's super open and honest, also he's starting to rely heavily on assistants  doing work for him. I'm still trying to decide whether I'm okay with that or not.  



These are a few of the paintings I saw 

Cameron Martin. Breach Stage, 2012, 40×30, inches, acrylic on canvas





Wendy White. El Rocko Lounge. 2012
Acrylic on canvas, digital print on vinyl over metal frame

Keith Mayerson, "Louise Bourgeois at her Salon," 2008. Oil on Canvas 
I'm feeling a little confused because there's not one thing describing painting right now. A lot of things are being produced digitally and things that are not made digitally are made by hand with a deliberate aid from a digital program. I'm just really confused about what is painting and what is not painting. Are these things being called painting when they shouldn't be? Painting is starting to be more than painting or less than painting? Still thinking//////////////////////////









1 comment:

  1. Hey Dana, it's Jim, I haven't really seen your work yet, but I like that your last post ends with you still thinking and not being afraid to not know. There was a visiting artist last year who you may have seen named Donna Nelson, who has taught at Tyler for a long time and is a very respected painter's-painter type, who said something that I thought might be interesting to you (at least it was to me) that "painting is older than art" which of course didn't just mean that the act of painting has been going with or without regard to the category or history of art. And there is one some level a connection running between all this stuff you are writing about and cave paintings, even if it does owe its existence to something called the "art world" anyway, fun to think about

    ReplyDelete