Wednesday, September 19, 2012

the kake and rebekah

this week has had its up and its downs, i have finally moved into my studio.

the unavoidable :

i have started this cake painting and im kind of scared of it because i barely started it and i have put in around 7-8 hours already and it looks like i have not done anything, but at the same time it reminds me of something beautiful. this painting is more of like a practice for me to start to understand the meaning of slow. for so long i was making paintings that were taking a long time because of the many layers and abandonment of each layer -- i guess it was slow for my own satisfacton. now i want to make something that is going to be a slow process because of the viewers appreciation of slow. things are changing quite a bit in my studio, im going to try to be a little more disciplined by spending more time on specific imagery rather than eluding to imagery that i make up in my mind. this is the start to my cake painting, although it looks like i've done nothing.

the bad : also i made a failed attempt at sculpture this week which was pretty embarrassing not to mention exhausting. i may be able to salvage it during the weekend. my instructor hannah was busy today and still took the time out to help me and make me feel less like a failure when i approached her during my crisis.

the best part of this week:

being matched up with my mentor, Rebekah Callaghan who is a second year MFA student here at Mason Gross and she and I are going to be meeting up throughout the school year to talk about work and I guess anything that happens during the time from now until thesis. Rebekah's paintings are really nice, and she seems to make a lot of work.we both value materials in a similar way. She uses tempera and oil paint in her paintings which is awesome. They are radical and I can't wait to learn more about them, so i can talk about them in a smarter way than I am now.  I think we are going to be an awesome match and we both are willing to put forth time in order to get the most out of the experience. ( in all seriousness). Also it is going to be nice to have someone to validate my thoughts and fears as an artist.


Rebekah Callaghan  Edouard?  "11 x 14" tempera on paper




No comments:

Post a Comment